Sunday, November 16, 2008

FINGERING THE LION-O

I was driving home yesterday when that Metallica cover of "Whiskey in the Jar" came on the radio. The catchy thing about that song is how Hetfield sings the title as "Whiskey in the JARR-OOOOHH" in that gravely, Dinobot-with-emphysema voice of his. So later on as I'm going to bed I'm thinking about this post I want to write about the sudden drop in popularity of Voltron toys in 1986 and how it seemed like there was this black hole that sucked up all the Voltron newspaper ads because they're absent from much of the 1986 holiday season. I didn't have a pen or paper by the bed as I usually do so just before I dozed off I tried to commit to memory the idea "figuring out the Voltron hole" as one of the central themes of the post. So I'd repeat in my head "figuring out the Voltron hole", "figuring out the Voltron hole" until I fell asleep, hoping I would remember it in the morning.

EXIT LIGHT, ENTER SNARF SNARF

Well I woke up from some weird dream later on in the night and all I hear in my head is James Hetfield singing Metallica's new hit single, "Fingering the Lion-O". I couldn't remember what that was supposed to mean because I was half awake, but I knew it had to be something about blogging. It took a while before it all came back to me. It's such a great line that I want to keep it so from now on I will refer to any long term absence as "Fingering the Lion-O". Dude, you haven't blogged in weeks! Are you fingering the Lion-O? WHERE IS RICK MORANIS?

1 comment:

Heavyarms said...

Great, now every time I listen to Garage, Inc. I'm gonna have to either skip that song or hear the lyrics as "fingering the Lion-O." Somebody totally ruined "Bad Moon Rising" for me with alternate lyrics.

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees

Evil King Macrocranios was voted king by the evil peoples of the Kingdom of Macrocrania. They listen to Iron Maiden all day and try to take pictures of ghosts with their webcams.